Criticism for any film of this type may or may not be based just on societal fears and prejudices. Considering the number of states with official language as English, it is not surprising that there would be some sort of backlash to programs, such as immersion, that would draw a negative reaction.

    In class following the film, I suggested there may not be a real economic value in a bilingual program. In no way did I insinuate a prejudiced attitude; nor did I , or am I, afraid of any such program. As a child growing up in the US Air Force, my family was stationed in Chateauroux, France where I was immersed in an early education bilingual class in 1956, long before these "pilot" programs existed in the United States. I am very familiar with the benefits of the program.

    My concern in class, which drew a great deal of negative reaction from fellow classmates, was the overall usefulness of a second language where the economy just does not have the jobs to accommodate those who succeed in the immersion program. My fellow classmates are all young, have not had the opportunity to explore many of the experiences in life I was fortunate enough to have, like living in a foreign country and immersed in a bi-lingual class.

    Currently, at the University of Nevada, I am fortunate enough to be enrolled in a second language class, again, French. I wouldn't trade it for the world. No prejudice or economic factor could influence how excited I am to be given another chance at learning a second language.

   If any criticism is to be directed, it would be at those who draw incorrect inferences from genuine concerns.